Positive Leadership has also been recognised as a Top 50 Leadership Expert to Follow on Twitter.

Follow us on Twitter @posleadership


LEADERSHIP IS A PROCESS OF SOCIAL INFLUENCE, WHICH MAXIMISES THE EFFORTS OF OTHERS TOWARDS THE ACHIEVEMENT OF A SHARED GOAL.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

How Not to Use a Coach!

Having a coach can put that mirror in front of you to help make that decision. It can also help to maintain motivation once a goal is achieved.

Having said that, coaches aren’t gods and they won’t always get things right — as Sven Kramer, the Dutch speed skater, discovered in the 10,000-metre event in Vancouver.

“I wanted to go on the outer lane,” he said. “Then [my coach] Gerard [Kemkers] shouted ‘inner lane’ and I thought to myself he’s probably right and went to the inner lane.”

Instead of winning another gold medal, however, Kramer was disqualified for skating in the wrong lane. He should have followed his own instincts, not his coach’s advice.

“I was on my way to making the right decision and just before the corner I changed my decision because of the advice from the coach,” he said. “But at the end of the day, it is my responsibility.”

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment