Finding the right mentor takes time, creativity, and a strategic plan. Viable confidantes might include one person or several. You might enlist support from someone familiar in your industry or someone in a completely different field.
Here are some considerations to help you find the right mentor:
- List desired traits in your potential mentor. Some qualities include solid communication skills, professional accomplishments, or position to which you aspire.
- Set specific expectations for mentor support such as specific competency, professional insight, or experiences from which you would like to learn.
- Confirm availability and potential for time commitment to provide support. Can this person be consistently available to provide perspective and respond to correspondence?
- Does this person show patience, sensitivity, and respect?
- Does this individual have a track record of helping others?
- Is this person a good listener with whom you can easily communicate and receive constructive feedback?
- Is this person knowledgeable? For instance, does he or she maintain professional and external relationships? Is this individual willing and able to provide you with referral contacts?
Positive Leadership Limited delivers leadership consulting in the areas of coaching, mentoring, executive education and training.