Positive Leadership has also been recognised as a Top 50 Leadership Expert to Follow on Twitter.

Follow us on Twitter @posleadership


LEADERSHIP IS A PROCESS OF SOCIAL INFLUENCE, WHICH MAXIMISES THE EFFORTS OF OTHERS TOWARDS THE ACHIEVEMENT OF A SHARED GOAL.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Patriots Addressing Leadership Questions

Vince Wilfork is an NFL player with the New England Patriots. He recently signed a 5 year $40 million contract extension. At the time of the new contract announcement, Wilfork made it clear that he would play his part in addressing the leadership questions which have surrounded the New England franchise in the last year.

He said he would have no trouble taking care of the “bad seeds” in the New England locker room, and demanding accountability from his teammates.

“As players, we’re going to have to start in the offseason training, and basically, everybody is going to have to be accountable,” Wilfork said. “If you’re on the field, you have to give me 100. You have to give me 100 percent. Always. We have to weed out the bad seeds, point blank. If you can’t give me what I’m giving you on the field, I don’t need you on the field with me. Point blank. That’s how you win."

“You got to build trust. Show me that I can trust you. I have no problem, if a guy’s not giving me that, I have no problem telling that guy I don’t need him on the field, and I have no problem going to tell Bill (Belichick, the coach) I don’t want him on the field. That’s point blank.”

Just this past week, at least 40 players were in attendance at Gillette Stadium for the Patriots’ first day of voluntary offseason workouts, which is a great attendance figure. These camps are typically attended by younger players, and veteran absences aren’t out of the ordinary. Yet, after what Wilfork said about wanting to help the team improve its leadership, it comes across as a positive sign that he was among the large group of players who showed up to Gillette. Players often rave about how these offseason workouts go a long way toward the team-building process.

The words and actions of Wilfork will do a lot to help reinforce the positive locker room infrastructure that existed when the Patriots won three Super Bowls in four seasons.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment